Monday, February 1, 2016

German, German and More German

Learning a new language is fun but it's also incredibly hard work. So, I would like to share some tips that have helped me with the language for any of you out there learning new languages!

Although I've studied German for 8 years, it has been several years and one other new language since then and therefore my German is very rusty at the moment. Fun fact though, when I lived in Spain a few years ago, I probably learned more German than Spanish since almost all my friends were from here!

Well, at this point I've been here for several weeks and I can say that I now understand almost everything (as long as people are not talking too fast)! However talking is still HARD. When I'm out I try to talk only in German but I still find talking with friends quite difficult as it takes me a long time to form a sentence in my head and by the time I'm done the conversation has covered another 5 topics!

And getting back to the topic, here are my best tips!

1. Read a book! 

On my first night here I raided my friend's bookshelf to find a book that is pretty easy to read. I have taken on a routine of reading in bed every night as it also relaxes me and helps me clear my mind off other things. At first I was a little frustrated with my unbelievably slow pace (I'm not the most patient person out there) but after a while I was happy to notice that I really picked up the pace. I have gotten more than half way through the first book and I already have another one waiting! Also, reading the news, articles, blogs, whatever interests you online is great!

The best part of these two books; I get to watch the movies after I'm done with the books to fill in any possible gaps! :)
























2. Listen! (and watch TV)

Listening to the language helps you get used to it and you start being able to tell the difference between words, sentences and the overall grammar structure. This is especially easy when you are actually living in the particular country and hear the language on a daily basis. Living in Germany it's great to learn by watching TV since everything is dubbed in German and therefore you have no other option (except Netflix, which can also be watched in German or at least with German subtitles).

My friend introduced me to The. Best. TV show EVER! Gute Zeiten, Schlechte Zeiten (or Guze!). It's a German soap that has been around probably as long as I have and everybody seems to have an opinion about it; they either love it or hate it, there's no in-between! The plot is really easy to follow even though the twists are pretty bizarre!

But the funniest thing about this series is that we have exactly the same kind of soap in Finland and it's on at exactly the same time (19:30) on week nights. Any Finnish readers out there know exactly what I'm talking about! Also, reruns are also shown at the same time on the weekend! Hilarious!

And the absolute most important tip; Talk, talk and talk. 

Talking is the most important thing for learning a new language. I'm really attempting to but I do have to admit I slip into English way too easily as I can't fluently express myself and I get frustrated. But it's a learning curve and while learning German I am also learning patience...

Talking about talking as I've been trying to talk more German with one of my room mates, the other day we went out for breakfast to Linds, the cutest little café in Schöneberg (which I for some reason keep saying in a Swedish accent...). The Kleines Veganes (Little Vegan) breakfast was truly awesome, containing bread, fresh hummus, ginger jam, vegetables and fruits.



Any other tips YOU might have on learning languages are more than welcome! 

2 comments:

  1. Do you if it's possible to watch Guze afterwards somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! They show reruns the following morning at 8:30. And the whole week on Satudays from 11:00 a.m. Hope you can catch it!

    ReplyDelete