Sunday, December 18, 2016

1st Anniversary - Thoughts on My Journey


Wow. It's been exactly 1 year since I wrote my very first blog post (happy anniversary, blog!!). At the airport in Helsinki. Leaving Finland to embarque on my biggest adventure yet. With a clear vision of where I want to be in my life in 2016 but yet nothing concrete to hold on to.

So, what can I say about this year and my adventures so far? Was it worth leaving everything familiar behind and taking a leap into the unknown, not knowing whether I would fall right down a cliff of unemployment and misery in a new country?

And my answer is yes. Absolutely, positively yes.

But that doesn't mean that I haven't been through hell this year. Well, maybe hell is a exaggerating a little but there have been some tough, tough times. First of all, starting a life in a new country is tough. Without a job it's even tougher. Being unemployed, for the short time that I was, is definitely not my thing. I was going crazy not having something where I could develop myself, interact with other professionals and use my full potential.

My days consisted of applying for jobs, working out, exploring Berlin (not the best time to walk around when it's FREAKING cold...), taking photos, blogging and trying to figure out my new life here. Slowly but surely the pieces started coming together; I did an internship, started a new job and a German course, met new people and just enjoyed the exciting new life. I've travelled quite a lot and continued exploring this wonderful city that I now call home.

Although it has been tough at times, I'm glad it all wasn't just a piece of cake, because now I can honestly say that it has made me so much stronger and I've learned a lot about myself as a person. And I also want to thank the people who have been there for me, my family, old friends, and new acquaintances - you have made the hard times a little better and the good times amazing, and I'm grateful for each and every one of you.

The biggest lesson this year has shown me (as much as I dislike like clichés) is that 'life happens when you're busy making other plans'. As I came here, I had clear plans of what I was going to do and what absolutely not to do, but as life tends to, things didn't really work out according to the plans.

Some things turned out better than I could ever have imagined in my wildest dreams.

xx,
sofia

No comments:

Post a Comment